The primary goal of a résumé is to get a job interview. No interview, no job. Therefore, a résumé is critical to a successful job search. The following five (5) steps will assist you in creating an effective résumé. Once your résumé is complete, make an appointment with Career Services (by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 575.461.4413 ext. 117) to have your résumé reviewed and receive feedback on how to possibly make it even better.
1. Make a hard copy of the Resume Worksheet.
2. Complete that worksheet with as much detail as possible. The more meticulously you fill out the worksheet, the easier it will be to create an effective résumé.
3. The next thing you need to do is determine what type of résumé you should write based on the information contained on the worksheet. For our purposes, there are two types of résumés: Functional Résumés and Chronological Résumés. To determine which one is right for you, consider the following:
- Use a Functional Résumé if…
- …you want to emphasize experience and skills over employment history.
- …you are a recent graduate with no work history.
- …you have extensive volunteer experience.
- …your employment history has large gaps.
- …you are changing careers.
- Use a Chronological Résumé if…
- …you want to show a positive and consistent work and education record.
- …the position you are applying for is similar to past or present jobs.
4. Once you determine which type of résumé is best for you, open a new MS Word Document and begin typing up your résumé using the information from your worksheet. It is strongly suggested that you do NOT use a fillable template to create your résumé. Résumé created via templates typically do not upload accurately to employer sites.
- If you determine that a Functional Résumé would work best for you, use the Functional Resume Example as a general guide when typing up your résumé.
- If you determine that a Chronological Résumé would work best for you, use the Chronological Resume Example as a general guide when typing up your résumé.
5. Current Mesalands Community College students and first-year alumni can contact the Career Services Center (email@example.com or 575.461.4413 ext. 117) to make an appointment for assistance with your résumé.
Additional services available to qualified students and alumni include the following:
- cover letter critiques
- interview preparation
- assistance with individual career guidance
- assessment inventories
- job search strategies