Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA)
- The FAFSA determines a student’s eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant.
- It typically takes 3-5 days for a student’s FAFSA information to be received by the Financial Aid office from the Central Processing System.
- Students should complete a FAFSA even if they feel they are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant.
- Students and parents must use their taxes to complete the FAFSA. The 2018-2019 FAFSA, use 2016 Taxes; 2019-2020 FAFSA, use 2017 taxes; 2020-2021 FAFSA, use 2018 taxes.
- A new FAFSA must be completed each year a student attends college.
- A student who is under 24, has no dependents and is not married is considered a Dependent Student. A Dependent Student must have their parents tax information to complete the FAFSA, and a parent must sign the application.
- A student and their parent must apply for a Federal Student Aid (FSA) Id when completing the FAFSA. This is used as their electronic signature for the FAFSA application. This does not expire, please keep username and password with your records.
- The amount of an academic/merit based scholarship and/or grants may be determined by the number of credit hours a student has taken the previous semester, and/or the number of credit hours a student is enrolled in for the current semester. The student must also be degree or certificate seeking in order to receive Financial Aid.
- Federal and State Financial Aid programs offered at Mesalands Community College include: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Student Loans (Subsidized & Unsubsidized), Parent Plus Loans, Federal Work Study, Federal SEOG, New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship, State Work Study, State Student Incentive Grant and College Opportunity Grant.
- If a student needs assistance filling out the FAFSA, they can make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office for assistance.
- Mesalands Community College schedules several dates in the Fall and Spring each year, to provide assistance to prospective/returning students both on campus and at local high schools. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
Mesalands Community College Scholarship Application
- Complete one scholarship application to qualify for several institutional and Mesalands Community College Foundation scholarships and grants. A short essay will be required.
- Check with the Financial Aid Office for additional scholarship opportunities that may require a separate application.
- Most scholarships require that a student has a FAFSA on file in the Financial Aid Office.
For additional information about Financial Aid or eligibility requirements, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (575) 461-4413, ext. 136.