The Board of Trustees of Mesalands Community College, accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, is conducting a nationwide search for a new president. The College seeks an experienced, dynamic, visionary, and enterprising leader, who will guide and set the stage for growth, stability, and service to a unique community college. Mesalands is located in a historic Route 66 community on the I-40 corridor with potential for continued success.
Mesalands Community College provides unique opportunities with immersive training complimented by its strategic location. The College is the authority on wind energy technology for the State of New Mexico boasting a wind turbine and housing a nacelle, on the ground, for hands-on training. The North American Wind Research and Training Center is a premier facility pushing the boundaries of renewable energy technology. The Paleontology program has produced a pristine world renowned Dinosaur Museum, cultivating specimens from exclusive local dig sites. Local ranchers, farmers, and butchers allow students immersive experiences in Agricultural Business and Direct to Market offerings, maintaining the traditions of the Southwest while advancing competitive business practices of the future. Other unique program offerings include: Farrier Science, Artistic Silversmithing, Fine Arts Bronze, and a nationally ranked Intercollegiate Rodeo Team. The College is fortunate to be led by a committed faculty and staff, producing high rates of student retention and success.
Over the last few years the College has experienced great success, being named by a national website as the No. 1 Community College in the State of New Mexico, as well as one of the nation’s most affordable community colleges. The College has experienced enrollment growth in eleven of the last twelve semesters, as one of the fastest growing two-year schools in the nation.
Mesalands Community College is situated in one of the most scenic and beautiful parts of eastern New Mexico. Tucumcari is nestled within farming and ranching communities at the crossroads of I-40 and U.S. 54. The enchanting ambience of Tucumcari is characterized by the scenic mesas, the high plains, and the legendary Tucumcari Mountain. History and legend ranging from the prehistoric dinosaurs which once roamed this region, to the legendary demise of the warrior Tocum and Princess Kari, accentuate the allure of The Land of Enchantment. Mesalands Community College is proud to be situated in an area full of history and legend, both of which provide opportunities for the College in its educational programs, as well as in its marketing.
Challenges and Opportunities for
Mesalands Community College
- To continue to provide affordable and quality educational opportunities for a rural community during a period marked by economic challenges.
- To identify new sources of funding, both public and private, that will ensure the long-term advancement and growth of the College and Foundation.
- To continuously invest in new programs and services to meet student and workforce needs.
- To continue to strengthen public support and confidence through partnerships with all levels of public and private schools, local and state government, and agencies.
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
- An educator committed to student success, excellence, and to working in partnership with the Board of Trustees, College Foundation, faculty, staff, students, and the local community to enhance all aspects of the College.
- Appreciation of, and experience with, academic matters including accreditation and student learning outcomes assessment.
- Values and develops accountability measures throughout the College to ensure the continued success of the institution.
- Experience and the desire to work with civic organizations, and county and city commissions in finding new ways to promote economic development for the area.
- An inclusive leader who will work closely with a dedicated Board of Trustees and the College community in developing short and long range plans for the College.
- A leader who will continue to develop and build on the strengths of the College.
- Ability to adapt to a small community lifestyle and values with an affordable cost of living.
- An experienced administrator with knowledge of cutting edge technology.
- A logical thinker committed to strategic planning based on sound data.
- A common sense leader with the ability to work with a culturally diverse community.
- A person who can leverage resources in an environment that depends on the engagement and commitment of faculty and staff, to carry out multiple responsibilities.
- An accessible and open leader with an exemplary work ethic, who can work with a dedicated administrative team to guide the College into the future.
- A dynamic, experienced advocate working within political fields at the local, state, and national level.
- A leader with a proven track-record in developing partnerships with business and industry.
- Success in obtaining funding from foundations, government, and individual contributors.
- Knowledgeable and accountable for compliance with/and implementation of all local, state, and federal regulations.
- A visionary and decisive leader of strong character, integrity, and a track record of building trust.
- An enthusiastic, motivated, open-minded, effective communicator, with strong people skills, and an outgoing personality.
- A proven record of sound fiscal management.
- Evidence of the knowledge and principals of working with a locally elected governing board.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The President must hold an earned Doctoral Degree in Educational Administration or a related field. The President must have adequate years of prior administrative experience at the Post-Secondary level.