January 12, 2023 – TUCUMCARI, NM – Following a national search with various candidates, Mesalands Community College is excited to announce Mark A. Martinez as Chief Campus Operations and Procurement Officer, a position left vacant following the retirement of Jim Morgan after twenty-three years.
The Chief Campus Operations and Procurement Officer is responsible for ten areas of leadership and oversight:
- Maintenance and repair of all College property, buildings, and grounds.
- Operation of the Dinosaur Museum, Mesalands Mercantile, and any other entrepreneurial enterprise agreement the College may enter.
- Certification as Chief Procurement Officer by the State of New Mexico.
- Serve as the purchasing agent for the College in accordance with New Mexico purchasing regulations.
- Maintain all records related to the aspects of the position.
- Lead local, state, and national collaboration for the development and oversight of capital projects and execution of the MCC Master Plan.
- Supervise employees including evaluation and recommendation for hiring and other human resources issues to the President.
- Supervise Campus Security/Police.
- In conjunction with the Senior Executive Director of Campus Safety and Security and other applicable parties, create and maintain a college-wide safety plan.
- Create roadmaps to adopt future services that will improve performance, organizational alignment, and lower operational costs. Lead in conversations regarding changes to college purchasing and funding necessary to support ongoing fiscally prudent operations.
The position requires candidates to have completed a minimum of five years in each posted responsibility. Mark A. Martinez excels in each of these with more than the posted minimum. A native of Tucumcari, Mark A. Martinez graduated from Tucumcari High School, and served Quay County in a variety of roles, including City Manager of the city of Tucumcari.
Dr. Gregg Busch, President of Mesalands Community College, stated, “We are committed to finding the best talent to serve the College. It’s always extra pleasing when that talent comes to us from Tucumcari. We enjoy being able to hire locally.”
Mark A. Martinez has been praised by state government and others for his leadership in the city. With his previous education, familiarity with state processes, experience in the region, and across the state of New Mexico, he will be a great asset as Mesalands Community College strives to be a first-choice college for all students seeking education training, or workforce development credentials.
In acceptance of the position, Mark A. Martinez said, “After years of working in public administration, it’s exciting to return to my Alma Mater to help the college excel in student success, access, and the prudent use of its resources.”
Mesalands Community College is fortunate to find such talent and experience so close to home. Mark A. Martinez is the perfect complement to the crucial needs of the college and the success of its students.
The Mesalands Community College administration celebrated his acceptance stating, “We are excited to welcome Mr. Martinez in his new role as Chief Campus Operations and Procurement Officer and look forward to working with him. It has been made clear to us he is bringing the skills that will bring the most benefit to the students and the institution at this seminal moment in the life of the college.”