Your Mesalands Community College financial aid award is based on the following:
- Information you submit to the Financial Aid Office via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Mesalands Community College Scholarship Application, or On-Campus Employment Application.
- Timely submission of applications named above, and other required documentation.
- Eligibility for available funds.
- Enrollment Status
Students seeking financial aid in order to meet educational expenses have specific Rights and Responsibilities accompanying their offer. These Rights and Responsibilities are identified as follows:
As a financial aid applicant, you have the right to:
- Be informed of financial aid deadlines for submitting the necessary applications and supporting documents.
- Expect equitable treatment under the College’s policy prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, creed, age, sex, handicap, or national origin.
- Expect that all information reported by you and/ or your family will remain confidential and cannot be released without your written consent according to FERPA.
- Examine records in the Financial Aid Office, which relate to your financial aid file according to FERPA, within two weeks of request.
- Know on what basis your financial need was determined such as the elements considered in estimating your cost of attendance and expected family contribution.
- Request a review of any decision you feel warrants consideration due to circumstances beyond your control.
- Know the cost of attendance.
- Know how much aid you are eligible for by semester and when/how it will be disbursed.
- Be informed of financial aid programs that are available to you.
- Be informed of the financial aid awarding procedure.
- Know the terms of any employment programs you are offered.
- Be informed of the College’s refund policy.
- Know Mesalands’ definition and determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Know Mesalands’ appeals process.
As a financial aid applicant, you have the responsibility to:
- Acquire the necessary forms.
- Acquire the necessary information to apply for aid, Mesalands’ aid policies, and important dates by reviewing Mesalands’ Financial Aid Office publications.
- Submit all forms by the advertised deadline.
- Read materials sent to you thoroughly.
- Keep copies of all relevant documentation for financial aid consideration.
- Comply with all rules governing the aid received.
- Apply annually for each year you wish to receive financial aid.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office of changes of information you supplied on application materials.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office of any outside scholarship awards or other extended tuition aid the student expects to receive or has been awarded.
- Notify the Student Affairs Office of any name and/or address changes.
- Acquire and complete job application for on-campus student employment positions.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office for changes in enrollment status (withdrawal from the College, dropping below half time, or transferring to another college).
- Return all missing and incomplete documentation to the Financial Aid Office upon receiving a letter requesting the information.
- Read and understand Mesalands’ Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.