The Board of Trustees of Mesalands Community College, accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, is conducting a nationwide search for a new president. The College seeks an experienced, dynamic, visionary, and enterprising leader, who will guide and set the stage for growth, stability, and service to a unique community college. Mesalands is located in a historic Route 66 community, with potential for continued success.
The College has been at the cutting edge of wind energy technology, and is the site of the North American Wind Research and Training Center. The College also houses a world class dinosaur museum and a program in Paleontology. Other unique program offerings include: Farrier Science, Artistic Silversmithing, Fine Arts Bronze, and a nationally ranked Intercollegiate Rodeo Team, led by an internationally recognized coach. The College and its unique programs is fortunate to be led by a committed faculty and staff, resulting in high rates of student success.
Mesalands Community College is situated in one of the most scenic and beautiful parts of eastern New Mexico. Tucumcari is nestled within farming and ranching communities at the crossroads of I-40 and U.S. 54. The enchanting ambience of Tucumcari is characterized by the scenic mesas, the high plains, and the legendary Tucumcari Mountain. History and legend ranging from the prehistoric dinosaurs which once roamed this region, to the legendary demise of the warrior Tocum and Princess Kari, accentuate the allure of The Land of Enchantment. Mesalands Community College is proud to be situated in an area full of history and legend, both of which provide opportunities for the College in its educational programs, as well as in its marketing.
Challenges and Opportunities for Mesalands Community College
- To continue to provide affordable and quality educational opportunities for a rural community during a period marked by numerous economic challenges.
- To identify new sources of funding, both public and private, that will ensure the long-term advancement and growth of the College and Foundation.
- To continuously invest in new programs and services to meet student and workforce needs.
- To continue to strengthen public support and confidence through partnerships with all levels of public and private schools, local and state government, and agencies.
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
- An educator committed to student success, excellence, and to working in partnership with the Board of Trustees, College Foundation, faculty, staff, students, and the local community to enhance all aspects of the College.
- Appreciation of, and experience with, academic matters including accreditation and student learning outcomes assessment.
- Values and develops accountability measures throughout the College to ensure the continued success of the institution.
- An inclusive leader who will work closely with a dedicated Board of Trustees and the College community in developing short and long range plans for the College.
- A leader who will continue to develop and build on the strengths of the College.
- Ability to adapt to a small community lifestyle and values with an affordable cost of living.
- An experienced administrator with knowledge of cutting edge technology.
- A logical thinker committed to strategic planning based on sound data.
- A common sense leader with the ability to work with a culturally diverse community.
- A person who can leverage resources in an environment that depends on the engagement and commitment of faculty and staff, to carry out multiple responsibilities.
- An accessible and open leader with an exemplary work ethic, who can work with a dedicated administrative team to guide the College into the future.
- A dynamic, experienced advocate working within political fields at the local, state, and national level.
- A leader with a proven track-record in developing partnerships with business and industry.
- Success in obtaining funding from foundations, government, and individual contributors.
- Knowledgeable and accountable for compliance with/and implementation of all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Experience and the desire to work with civic organizations, and county and city commissions in finding new ways to promote economic development for the area.
- A visionary and decisive leader of strong character, integrity, and a track record of building trust.
- An enthusiastic, motivated, open-minded, effective communicator, with strong people skills, and an outgoing personality.
- A proven record of sound fiscal management.
Doctoral Degree from a Regionally Accredited University
Evidence of the knowledge and principals of working with a locally elected governing board.